Part No: MPKLK-IEC61850-Protocol-SYNC-2000
The SYNC-2000 protocol gateway is one of the most widely used converters supporting a wide range of protocols (including IEC 61850, DNP3.0, IEC 101/103/104 and DLMS/ COSEM). It offers superior substation-grade ruggedness based on the IEC 61850-3 specifications yet versatile to be used in numerous Transmission and Distribution applications. The KEMA certified (for IEC 61850 server) and NERC-CIP compliant DIN rail mountable product has been sold to more than 500 customers worldwide for various substation and automation requirements.
The SYNC-2000 series of products come with real-time embedded Linux operating system, and support a host of protocols including IEC 61850, IEC 60870-5-101/103/104, DLMS/COSEM, Modbus as well as legacy and proprietary protocols such as SPA Bus, and Courier. SYNC-2000 devices are also versatile communication devices, and offer the option of adding an internal GPRS/CDMA modem. They also have the capability to support secure VPN connections over dynamic IP. With options for higher grade enclosures (IP65) SYNC-2000 is perfect for various field IED aggregation requirements whether in Transmission or Distribution substations or in Pad-mount / Pole-top cabinets
SYNC-2000 comes with analog and digital I/O’s with a maximum of 6 serial and 1 Ethernet port, in a rugged package that is tested for IEC61850-3 compliance including strict EMI/EMC and Surge requirements on all ports and power supply. The fiber optic version with 6 serial and 1 fiber optic port also offers expansion IO’s as well as transparent channel support and remote configuration/ diagnosis.
SYNC-2000 is an ideal IEC61850 Gateway, used to connect various downstream devices to SCADA / EMS systems. Being a multi-protocol gateway SYNC-2000 can integrate IEDs of various pr0tocols and transmit over IEC 61850 (or any other protocol), thus a future-proof option and savings on long term upgradability costs.
The application case diagram of SYNC-2000 is shown below:
- Supports more than 40 protocols including IEC 60870-5-101/103/104, IEC 61850, DNP3.0, Modbus RTU/ TCP, and DLMS COSEM
- Automatic startup and initialization following power restoration
- Multi master communication capability (many-to-many protocol conversion)
- Support for up to 3000 data points
- Storage for up to 50000 events
- File upload/ download support
- Remote configuration
- Time synchronization using IEC60870/DNP3/SNTP
- Transparent/tunneling support for remote configuration and disturbance data collection
- Device management using SNMP/ webserver
- Network tunneling support
- IEC 61850-3 compliant hardware
- KEMA certified IEC 61850 server
- High MTBF suitable for utility requirements
- NERC-CIP compliant security
- IEC62351 support
- SSL VPN with AES, DES or 3DES encryption
- Variants with up to 12 serial ports and 2 Ethernet ports available
- Internal and external pluggable cellular modem (GPRS/EDGE/CDMA/UMTS)
- External pluggable RF/PSTN modem
- Fiber optic Ethernet option
- In-built and plug-in I/O support
- Option for expanding communication port
- Wide range of AC and DC power supply
- Adaptable for customization of existing protocols as well as adding new protocols
Protocol Upgrade Comparison Table
This is the comparison between various protocol upgrade options:
||Embedded Board Implementation
||External Protocol Gateway
|Prerequisites & Constraints
||No prerequisite on the technical front.
Mechanical Constraint – embedded board has to fit into the device enclosure.
Device connectivity constraint depends on number of data-points, multi-dropping, protocols as well as the Gateway variant.
|The downstream device should have a protocol that is supported by the Gateway device.
No change in hardware component or mechanical design.
Device connectivity constraint depends on number of datapoints, multi-dropping, protocols as well as the Gateway variant.
||Meant for upgrading the target device to support multiple protocols with minimal effort.
||Meant for applications where the downstream device cannot be modified / tampered – and communication on different protocols.
||Easy addition of new protocols and updating of existing protocols possible, without any hardware change and implementation effort from customer end.
||The implementation process repeated for each protocol update and enhancement. The Gateway firmware can be remotely updated to include more protocols / updates, etc.
|Scale of Implementation
||Meant for a medium scale implementation.
||Meant for small scale implementation.
||Complete implementation and integration to target IED takes around 3-4 weeks.
||Can be installed in less than 6 hours.
||SYNC-200: IED upgrade module
||SYNC-2000: Protocol gateway